By Remote Theater Project In association with GOH Productions Written and Directed by Amir Nizar Zuabi
Set in the present day, and reflecting on 1969 during the first moon landing (exactly 50 years ago), Grey Rock tells the story of an ordinary man in a small West Bank Village determined to go to the moon. The play addresses the chaos that ensues within his family as he builds a space rocket in his shed. The 5 member cast of actors from across Palestine perform GREY ROCK in English. Grey Rock is about the inalienable right to dream. Director and playwright Zuabi creates a humorous, fantastical play exploring how US culture has permeated and influenced Palestinian culture.
Performed by actors from Palestine: Khalifa Natour, Ivan Kevork Azazian, Fidaa Zaidan, Alaa Shehada, and Motaz Malhees
Production Design by Tal Yarden
Sound Design by Katie Down
Grey Rock Advisory Committee: Roberta Levitow (Co-founder and Director, Theatre Without Borders) David J. Diamond (Co-Director, La MaMa Umbria International) Lisa Robb (Arts Education Advocate) Faisal Al Jubiri (Arts Management Consultant) Shalva Wise (JVP Artist Council & Projects Coordinator)
Supported by CEC ArtsLInk, Left Tilt Fund, Qattan Foundation, Still Point Fund, Tajwaal Foundation, and private donors.
Friday Jan 4 On the challenges of producing international work in NYC today, with:
• Kate Loewald (Artistic Director, The Play Co) • Linda Chapman (Associate Artistic Director, New York Theatre Workshop) • Maha Chehlaoui (Founder Pass the Mic; co-Founder and former Executive Director of Noor Theatre) • Najla Said (Actress & Author "Zabur" -Mahmoud Fairouz's Oratorio)
Moderated by David J. Diamond (Co-Director, LaMaMa International Symposium for Directors)
Saturday Jan 5th at 7PM A one on one conversation between Philip Himberg (Artistic Director, the Sundance Institute Theatre Program) & playwright Amir Nizar Zuabi
Sunday Jan 6th (matinee) On the challenges of moving productions between the U.S. and the Middle East, with:
• Roberta Levitow (Co-founder & Director, Theatre without Borders; Senior Program Associate, Sundance Institute Theatre Program: East Africa & Middle East North Africa) • Jumana al-Yasiri (Middle East & North Africa Manager, Sundance Institute Theatre Program)
• Hadi Tabbal (Actor, "The Brave"/ Artistic Associate, Sundance Institute Theatre Program)
• Matthew Covey (Partner, CoveyLaw; Founding Director, Tamizdat)
• Catherine Coray (Associate Arts Professor, NYU Tisch School of the Arts/Director; The Lark Middle East-US Playwright Exchange)
About the Artists
The Remote Theater Project brings artists who are isolated, either geographically or politically, to NYC to develop new work. Zuabi’s recent work TAHA was seen at the Kennedy Center and Edinburgh Festival. His play Oh My Sweet Land was produced by the Play Co. in fall 2017, in kitchens around the city to widespread critical acclaim.